2.17.2010

Feeling Just A Bit Awkward (from 1-17-2005)

I intended to post this on my blogging anniversary but I forgot what the original date was. So, celebrating 5 years and 1 month of awkward moments...

Another Awkward Moment…


After Kim and I bought a chiminea today we needed to find a stand that was just the right size. I looked a little funny using my belt to measure the base of the chiminea and the stand, but it worked. We found one that fit perfectly!

The only problem was that I only had a 500 peso bill and the stand cost 70. “Would this rather robust woman have change for a 500?” I thought to myself. And I don't mind saying, I was a bit shocked to hear her say yes. What was odd was that she had to dig into her bra to pull the change out. Of course I've seen this in the movies, but I don't think I've ever had someone, right before my eyes, make change for me out of their underwear. Then, as she's digging around in there, I realize that I'm still putting my belt back on. How could this possibly look to those just passing by?

Needless to say, I felt just a bit awkward.

4 comments:

Jessica L. Johnson said...

That was a funny story! Chris still tells people that story, fun times!

JBlogger said...

Woops!

CJ Tharp said...

I have heard rummors over the years of such an event. Glad to find out the rumors were based on the misunderstanding of what "really" happened. :)

cemotosnack said...

Hey Tim ... I've been between computers lately and have been out of the blog loop. But when I read this tonight I had to laugh.

I had just begun teaching in St. Louis and was eating lunch with several teachers that I didn't know. One of them, a rather large woman, was talking about how she was a germ-a-phobe. So much so that she had special shoes that she wore into the bathroom at school because she didn't want to wear her regular shoes in there. As she talked about the disgusting germs that grossed her out ... a phone began to ring.

She reached into her shirt and pulled out her cell phone ... placed it against her face ... and said, "Hello". How can you be the least bit concerned with germs and do that?