9.01.2008

A Great Idea

I want to share with you something my brother-in-law, Eli, does with some in his church in the Sacramento area. I don't know what he calls it, but it's something like an Art Retreat.

They go away together for a night or two and do Art. Before hand, Eli picks a theme, and the theme could be anything really... Mercy, Redemption, Sin, Love, Joy... and each person creates some sort of art that is inspired by that theme. (I think many stay up all night working.) Then each person presents his masterpiece and explains how it ties in to the particular theme. In this way, there isn't a teacher and many students... all teach when it is their turn and all are students. Sounds like a lot of fun to me and I'm not very art-savy.

Another cool thing about this... it isn't a youth retreat or a young singles or men's or whatever retreat. It's a combination that spans the congregation. I think it would be fun to witness as the 16 year old and the 59 year old actually connect and learn from each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that idea. You should try it out and invite us to come.

I went to a retreat one time where we were each given a mask. It was solid white and we were supposed to decorate it. One 1/2 was how we want others to see us ... the other 1/2 was how we saw ourselves at that moment. It was interesting to think about anyway.

I really like the idea that Eli has because, like you said, everyone teaches, and age doesn't really matter.