11.19.2006



This photo is a little old, but it is one of my favorites. I was reminded of it this week when Q informed me that his friend pictured here, Maria Jose, was whom he would marry someday.

Other happenings this week...

I almost blew up. That was new. Kim and I were visiting some friends when their electricity went out due to a storm. They had an elderly woman in their home who was on an oxygen machine. She didn't know how it worked and couldn't get it started back up. So a couple of the youths and I were trying to help her out. (All the adults were gone when we showed up.) As there were no lights, the 18 year old boy was using his cell phone for light. He kept turning nobs and moving hoses but couldn't get it to work. All he could do was allow great amounts of oxygen to escape in loud bursts. The younger girl was starting to freak out a bit as the elderly woman began to panick. Trying to help, the young girl thought she'd shed some more light on the situation by holding a candle closer to the oxygen tank. I suggested that wasn't the best idea.

We did get it going again. And as far as I know, the elderly lady is doing just fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! The thoughts of fire and an O2 tank together are pretty much a huge fear of mine! I had to cringe at reading that story! Ha! Happy to hear the woman made it through this ordeal...and everyone else for that matter with NO explosions.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the time my brother and a friend were stealing gas from my father to make....something boy make when they mix gas, toothpaste, hairspray, and other house hold items to try to make things bubble or explode or something, anyway back to the gas, my brothers friend stuck a lighter down into the coffee can to see how much they had (I was innocently standing in the wooden shed keeping a look-out....I mean wondering what they were doing) Well in my memory it was like an explosion. Poof and my brother was holding the biggest teaky torch in the word. He of course handed it to his friend (Like whoever is holding the blazing coffee can should be the one in trouble) The friend dropped it on the ground. I remember almost dying as flames were all around me before my brother through me out the door. My brother mostly remember just laughing so hard he could have wet his pant while he lay on the ground outside the door tossing handful of snow in while his friend was inside jumping and screaming like a woman because his shoe string had caught on fire. (We lived in Montana) Not important, but I thought I would share. Amazing how two people can remeber the same situation so differently.

tim rush said...

Brenda, I think you shouldn't be given one of those things unless you know how to use it. She was of no use what-so-ever. Her son had always done it for her. And the more she panicked, the worse it got for everyone else.

Amy g. Funny how we remember stories in different ways. In fact, I'll often hear Dusty tell a story about something that happened to him as a child. The funny thing is, it actually happened to me. I remember a statistic in college about how we don't really remember events, we remember what we say about events. Thus after you say it one way or another, that is how the memory is formed. Very interesting.